44th Annual Southminster Women’s Retreat May 1st – 3rd, 2020
Southminster’s Women’s Retreat is an annual gathering of our community of women. Your retreat planning committee seeks to create a program to provide mind-body-soul connection and deepen our sense of community at Southminster. Our Women’s Retreat strives to be inclusive and invites all women (cis, trans, femme, and gender-non conforming) to join us!
Join us for individual reflection and group dialogue in a safe, supportive setting. Come explore with us at women’s retreat.
Antoinette Kennedy is a native Oregonian, teacher, and writer. She received her BA in English literature from Marylhurst College, her MA in Franciscan Studies from St. Bonaventure University, and did postgraduate studies in drama at the University of Oregon. After completing the Oregon Writer’s Project and the Northwest Writing Institute at Lewis & Clark College, she received writing fellowships from Fishtrap and Oregon Literary Arts. Her memoir, Far from Home, the story of her life as a Franciscan nun from 1961-1985, was published by Fuze Publishing in April of 2018. She lives in Hillsboro, Oregon.
Retreat Weekend Includes:
Our Women’s Retreat has met for many years at the Tilikum Retreat Center near Newberg, Oregon. It provides the peace that a spiritually and nature-centered, soul place can offer. It is located only an hour from Beaverton but has the feeling of a country get-a-way. The 90-acre grounds are a combination of woods and farm, lake and fields surrounding a comfortable 50+ bed residence and dining hall, there for our reflection, restoration, and enjoyment.
- Music and singing
- Chair Massages from Body Bunch…ahhh!!…relax your back
- Many other organized activities, all of which are optional. kick-off is YOUR weekend!
- 2 nights at Tilikum Retreat Center in Newberg, Oregon
- Tilikum “home-cooked meals”, beginning with the Friday dinner and including Sunday breakfast
- Most rooms are 3-person with “in-suite” bath/shower
- Multiple outdoor and indoor spaces inviting you to read, journal, meditate, visit, or simply gaze at the beautiful surroundings
- Use of Tilikum’s woods, trails for walking/hiking.
- Access to canoes on Tilikum Lake
- A ride on the legendary “Big Swing” in Tilikum’s Challenge Course
- Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available 24 hours/day
- Access to retreat center Hot Tub
We hope you will join us for this fun and inspiring weekend!
Retreat Price and Payment Options
The full retreat cost for 2 nights, 5 meals, and a great facilitated program is $175. The same price as last year!!
It is the intent to make the Women’s Retreat available to the Southminster women who would like to attend. If you would like to request a full or partial scholarship in order to defray your costs to attend Women’s Retreat, please talk to Sue Kozak or Karen Wittenburg. All requests are handled confidentially.
Retreat Donations – Continue the Legacy
Women’s Retreat is a self-funded event. We do not have a line item on the church operating budget to pay for the retreat costs or scholarships. Instead, we pay for the retreat through registration fees collected, donations to the retreat, and funds from our perpetual investment fund, affectionately known as the Women’s Retreat FUNd. The FUNd was created in 1997 by Southminster women donating $22,000. That investment has offset costs for many women’s retreats!
You can continue the tradition of supporting the Women’s Retreat by donating to either or both of these:
- The 2020 Program Costs, which would be used to defray speaker costs or scholarships requested for the current retreat
- The Women’s Retreat FUNd, which is then invested and used for future retreats
Both of these types of donations are tax-deductible. It’s easiest if they are separate checks from the registration checks.