Being the Change we want to see in the World…
What is service-learning? DV8ers (students in Grades 5-8) are committed to serving the community and making a difference in the world. We learn best by doing! Thus, our service-learning projects are designed to help others. We have learned – “we are helped just as much as we help others.” Come and find out for yourself…
- Fall –We gather food for the Oregon Foodbank and serve a meal to approx. 90 homeless men at the Transitional Project in Southeast Portland.
- Christmas – We adopt a needy family and together provide a meal, basic needs, and Christmas gifts to all the members.
- Winter – We participate in the 30-hour famine for the hungry (fasting for up to 30 hours and getting sponsors). We also host the SOUPERBOWL on Superbowl Sunday (gathering money and canned goods for the hungry.)
- Spring – Student Leaders and small groups of DV8ers decide on and adopt a small project in the community. Also, during the Spring Retreat at Manzanita Beach, students participate in a Beach clean-up project (SOLV).
S.P.C. Service Opportunities: DV8ers are also encouraged to make a difference in the life of our church. Each student is encouraged to participate as a
- Sunday Morning Greeter,
- Participant in Worship,
- Supporting Children’s Ministries,
- Clean-up / Set-up projects…