Celebrating the Change we want to be in the World…
What is service-learning? SNL students (Grades 8-12) are committed to serving the community and making a difference in the world. Our motto is “think deeply, love fully and serve gladly!” As such, we attempt to make on-going service a part of what we do. We are committed to Social Justice, keeping the environment green, and animal rights. Here are some of the service projects we have planned in the coming year:
- On-going – Transitional Housing Projects. Quarterly, our students provide a meal at one of the following shelters: The Dr. Rodney Glisan Center, the Clark Center or Jeans Place. In addition, every other third Sunday of the month, students participate in a local service project.
- Fall - Portland Urban Plunge – Students spend the night and day serving the homeless in downtown Portland (i.e. Blanchet House).
- Christmas – We adopt a needy family and together provide a meal, basic needs, and Christmas gifts to all the members.
- Winter – We participate in the 30-hour famine for the hungry (fasting for up to 30 hours and getting sponsors). We also host the SOUPERBOWL on Superbowl Sunday (gathering money and canned goods for the hungry.
- Spring - Volunteer at a local Animal Shelter and the Beaverton Sunshine Food Pantry.
Mission trips that we have conducted in past years include (click on dates to view pictures or slide show - coming soon):
- Westminster House in Spokane (July 2013)
- Cuba Intergeneration Mission Trip (June/July 2012)
- San Francisco-Oakland Urban Mission Trip, San Francisco, CA (Spring 2011)
- Ghost Ranch in Abiqui, New Mexico (Summer 2010)
- Camphell Farms in Wapato, Washington (Summer 2009)
- Westminster House in Spokane, Washington (Summer 2008)
- Portland Urban Plunge in Portland, Oregon (Summer 2007)
- Hurricane Katrina relief in New Orleans, Louisiana (Summer 2006)
S.P.C. Service Opportunities: SNL students are also encouraged to make a difference in the life of our church. Each student is encouraged to participate in one or more of the following opportunities
- Sunday Morning Greeter,
- Participant in Worship,
- Supporting Children’s Ministries,
- Advent Fair,
- Committee volunteer,
- Clean-up / Set-up projects…
- Want to talk to a student leader about Service or Mission? Text or call, Eric at 503.539.1431.