POSITION: Administrative Assistant
GENERAL PURPOSE: To establish an enthusiastic, positive environment to enhance Southminster’s Christian ministry and other programs of the church.
PROFESSIONALISM: Staff are expected to support Southminster goals and values; to work both independently and cooperatively with the Southminster team; to respect and support fellow staff and congregation members; to communicate clearly; to take initiative to help resolve problems; to be adaptive to change; to seek self improvement and embrace one’s own responsibilities for excellent job performance.
SPECIFIC PURPOSE: To provide administrative support to the pastor, staff, and session ministries and manage the office program.
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt (salaried).
SALARY RANGE: $22,000-26,000; two weeks paid vacation
WORK PERIOD: All positions are established from January-December
EXPECTED TIME COMMITMENT: 32 hours a week
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with the Pastor as Head of Staff, the following constitute the primary duties:
- Secretarial Duties
- Handle correspondence.
- Help prepare the Session Agenda with the pastor.
- Maintain church records of weddings and baptisms, and keep the memorial files and correspondence.
- Maintain membership rolls and update information.
- Update phone messaging/answering machine.
- Provide information to visitors and members about church life and organization.
- Attend staff meetings, attend retreats as requested and take minutes.
- Type and copy the Order of Worship.
- Keeps and updates files on various committees and groups of the church.
- Preparing and overseeing the monthly newsletter and other mass mailings.
- Handle telephone calls
- Design/create/produce brochures and forms as needed.
- Produce Southminster Annual Report, Presbyterian Annual Report
- Act as a resource to two groups of financial counters.
- Coordinate and act as resource for volunteers.
- Keep current the church calendar, manage building rental, wedding and funeral arrangements, and coordinate placement of classes and events in the building.
- Act as a resource for the Stewardship campaign.
- Provide computer training/assistance as needed for staff and volunteers.
- Update website.
- Process charge card charges online.
- Coordinate planning and implementing workshops for church.
- Prepare payables, print checks and obtain signatures; manage monthly paychecks with church accountant.
- Other duties as assigned by the pastor.
ACCOUNTABILITY & EVALUATION: Work objectives and performance review to be conducted annually by the Personnel Committee and Head of Staff.
QUALIFICATIONS: Basic requirements are as follows:
- Type 40 words/min with minimal errors
- Working knowledge of Gmail, Microsoft Office applications, including Publisher and Excel, QuickBooks, auto-responder software, data base software; willingness to learn PowerChurch and WordPress software
- Take the lead in updating the website and interacting with social media
- Experience in working for and with a staff and volunteers
- Ability to delegate
- Effective communication skills, including written, verbal, and electronic
- Employ effective organizational and follow-through skills
JOB LOCATION: Southminster Presbyterian Church, Beaverton OR
To apply for this position, you will need to submit the following through our online Application:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 30th